Thursday, November 17, 2011

Black Holes and Wizards

In a recent episode of the Wizards of Waverly Place, one of my favourite television shows*, Alex and Justin are trapped in Alex's apartment and an evil wizard puts a black hole in the middle of the room. Now, I don't imagine that anyone could actually jump through tied to a rope and pull them through to the other side (which is how Max saved his siblings), but imagine how cool it would be to step forward and be instantly be somewhere completely different.

This is definitely not a new concept. As a matter of fact, Willy Wonka (with Charlie) was working on the technology when his corporation got shut down by the Flying Spaghetti Monster in 1879. I once did some learning about entanglement, which someone suggested might be the answer, but the math just exploded my brain and befuddled my sensibilities. But if a black hole is the answer (which it's not, but maybe wormholes are), and the appearance of one in downtown Switzerland doesn't completely destroy us, then I hope we make some when the Hadron Collider gets up and running (if it ever does).

Until then, our country will continue to build very large, energy consuming space vessels, and I will continue to write about imaginary transportation devices which allow you to traverse large distances in very short periods of time (I call them Doors). Then, when my novel is way, way better than it currently is, you can all read about them. And when this technology is complete, I will use these portals and mayhaps come give you a hug.


*Yes, please judge me because it means you're reading my blog. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment